Wednesday, February 28, 2018

No Shame in Counseling

The other day I mentioned something about my counselor to someone and they were a little shocked that I still see him. I started seeing him a few months after my ex-husband walked out. In the beginning it was a weekly occurrence, but I currently go every two to three weeks.  It just depends on what is going on in my life. People have different views on counseling. I have been to a couple different ones, but I do think you need to find the right one. 

The counselor I see now was recommended to me by my sister-in-law shortly after my ex left. He was previously her professor. He is a Christian counselor is less than 6 miles from me. Thank God for name came to her while I was visiting my brother and her. 

He has helped me work through so many things. He isn't there to tell me what to do, but to counsel me. I have learned how to communicate better with my Mom (this is still a work in progress), understand my self doubt, find my love in music, figure out reoccurring nightmares, and so much more. He has prayed for me, answered my questions, helped me understand my reason for being open, and more. 



There is and should be no shame in counseling. No matter what you are going through in life I would recommend it. However, if you are trying to get through a difficult time in life I think it is a must. It was so nice to have someone to talk to who didn't know my ex, our friends or family, or me. He didn't take sides, which I needed during that time. It was one of the best decisions I made to help heal my broken heart at the time. 

Honestly, I believe it is smart to find a counselor. They help you to better understand the things you are going through and yourself. As time goes on I may start seeing my counselor less or more, but I don't see a time where I will quit seeing a therapist. I want to continue to grow and be a better me. By doing this I love myself more, which in turn allows me to give more love to those around me. 


~Stephanie~

No comments:

Post a Comment